Mother's Day is this weekend, so here are five ways to win over your boyfriend or girlfriend's MOM . . .
1. Ask her about herself. It's always awkward trying to make conversation with someone's mom for the first time, but asking her questions and listening goes a long way.
If you're stuck on WHAT to talk about, ask questions about what your boyfriend or girlfriend was like as a kid.
2. Compliment something specific. Find something you really like about her or her home . . . like her necklace or the decorations in the guest bathroom . . . and tell her. Complimenting something specific instead of generic makes it seem more genuine.
3. Bring a gift. Obviously if you're meeting someone's mom for the first time on Mother's Day, you NEED to bring a gift. But it's a good idea to bring one regardless of when you meet her. It doesn't have to be fancy . . . flowers or a bottle of wine is fine.
4. Offer to help. A good rule of thumb is to always offer to help with either the cooking or cleaning when you're visiting . . . or pick up the check if you go out.
5. Put in some effort. Even if you're nervous, DON'T sit back and let your boyfriend or girlfriend do all the talking. Ask questions, smile, and look interested, even if you're not. (She Knows)