Va. Resident Dies From Waterborne Flesh-eating Bacteria

posted by Steve - 

 A Virginia resident has died after coming in contact with a flesh-eating bacteria called Vibrio. 

WTKR reported that the victim's identity has not yet been confirmed.

According to health officials, Vibrio is a naturally occurring bacteria found in warm salt or brackish waters. 

The  sickness can make people ill if they eat raw or under cooked shellfish.  It can also infect a person if an open cut or wound comes into contact with water.

They said nine people in Virginia have reported illnesses to the Department of Health. 

If brought about through eating contaminated shellfish, symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.

More info on this story: ABC 13

title

Content Goes Here