McDonald's signature burger was added to the menu 50 years ago this week. To celebrate this, McDonald's is launching a promotion where you can earn free burgers and a fun commemorative item.
According to their press release, "To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Big Mac, McDonald’s unveiled the MacCoin, a limited edition global currency* backed by the internationally iconic Big Mac that fans across the world can get their hands on starting August 2 to share, collect or redeem."
They go on to announce that you can begin redeeming the coins the next day for free Big Macs.
More than 6 million of the coins will be distrubted world wide and each highlight a decade where the Big Mac has been on the menu.
"Each MacCoin design pulls in elements from that time in history, nodding to art, music and pop culture, while the front-side of the MacCoin celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Big Mac. The MacCoin highlights:
- The ‘70s, showcasing the decade’s flower power
- The ‘80s alluding to pop art
- The ‘90s defined with bold, abstract shapes
- The early ‘00s specifically focusing on the technology that was at the forefront of the turn of the century
- The ‘10s MacCoin calling attention to the evolution of communication"
These coins are available while supplies last.